This is a french bistro classic, it gets its name from the word ‘croquer’ which means to crunch so by all means, crunch away! Do we need an invitation?!
23ml plain flour
375ml hot milk
a dash of salt and pepper
120g of white cheddar (mature for richness) or emmanthal works well here too!
crossaints (stale or fresh are fine)
30ml dijon mustard
100g gypsy ham (sweet ham works best here)
1. preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius
2. melt butter over low heat and stir in flour, add milk slowly and stir until you form a smooth sauce. OH YES this is not diet food!
3. season and remove from heat
4. stir in half the cheese and set aside…for now
5. toast half crossaints lightly, pan works fine for this, face side down obviously…then lightly spread with dijon mustard and place on a foil lined baking tray
6. place a slice of ham and some cheese on top of mustard. Top with the other half of the crossaint….and here is the good bit! top with white cheesy sauce…..side drool!
7. bake for 5 minutes, then turn on grill and cook for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
8. serve while warm and crunchy…see i told you there was some crunch involved!
Ok so i know you probably thinking could this be any more fattening but its a treat….so enjoy it and dont think about the calories. Do something about those tomorrow.
Life is a gift and Im gonna accept it…along with a bit of cheese!