I have a goal in life..to find the best eggs benedict ever made.
Its not about the eggs! Nor is it about the ham….its all about THAT sauce.
The dreamy..creamy…with a little twang…hollandaise…and although you would never believe it, it is SO hard to get the consistency right as well as the getting the taste just as it should be. It can’t be blah! It’s gotta have kick.
Challenged accepted? Off you go then!
2 x eggs (I boil mine – the correct method is too poach but I feel like you lose too much of the egg)
black forest ham – not negotiable!
1 x english muffin, sliced in half and lightly toasted
a few sprigs of rocket
100g unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of hot water
ground black pepper
1. Boil eggs in a small pan of boiling water, room temperature eggs x 2. Water in the pan must be bubbling.
2. Add eggs to pan, turn heat down and cover with saucepan lid.
3. Cook for 5 minutes exactly for a runny yolk and solid white (traditional eggs benedict way!) if you going to ruin your eggs by making them hard Im afraid you going to have to google how many minutes for hard boiled…Im afraid I dont know.
4. To make hollandaise sauce: melt butter in a small saucepan over a low heat. Set aside.
5. Mix 2 egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and pepper and hot water in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk until mixture thickens and becomes pale.
6. Continue whisking and add butter. If you want richer… and I know you do, add a touch of cream at this stage. You have got to be very careful when mixing the butter and cream in as you dont want it to curdle. Slowly does it and little bits at a time.
7. Top toasted muffins with ham, rocket and peeled boiled eggs.
8. Pour over dreamy sauce and add a sprinkle of paprika.
9. Last step: Muuuushhh eggs just waiting to burst with their runny golden yolks.
Photo: NU Recipes